If you want a roast that falls apart under the pressure of your fork and easily makes Shredded Beef, make your pulled beef in a slow cooker. This recipe is seasoned with flavours that complement many cuisines well so the possibilities are endless with leftovers.
- Beef - Tough Cuts such as Cross Crib Roast, Boneless Blade Pot Roast, Top Round Roast, Inside Round Roast, Bottom Round Roast, Brisket etc are all awesome options for braising beef in the slow cooker. Cooking meat in liquid, low and slow will make any cut tender.
- Red Wine Vinegar (can substitute balsamic vinegar, or a mix of white wine vinegar and red wine)
- Cooking Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
How to tell Which cut of beef is tender and which is tough
What is the best cut for shredded Beef?
- Inside Round
- Outside Round
- Eye of the Round
- Cross Rib Roast
- Chuck Roast
- Rump Roast
How to make Pulled Beef In the Slow Cooker
- Season Roast
- Add Beef, Garlic and Onion to Slow Cooker
- Turn Slow Cooker on
- Shred Beef
Yeah, it's that easy.
Cooking times for Pulled Beef In a Slow Cooker
Low Setting - 8-10 Hours (If its still not tender, cook for another 1-2 hours.) Lots of things can contribute to a longer cooking time. Size of roast being the most common.
High Setting - 6-8 Same rule applies as above, if its not tender then keep it cooking
What Can I make with Shredded Beef?
- Beef Birria Tacos
- Add BBQ Sauce and Make a hot sandwich on a Bun withOnion, Cheese and Picklets
- Tacos - Add an Avocado Crema, Pickled Onion etc
- May an easy pasta bake with cheese, Shell pasta and BBQ sauce.
How Long can I freeze Slow Cooker Pulled Beef?
I like to place in 1 pound ziploc bags and freeze for up to 6 months.
Pulled Beef Slow Cooker
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 4-5 Pound Roast Chuck, Brisket, Round, Cross Rib etc
- ¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
For the Slow Cooker
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- ½ Head Garlic about 5 Cloves, Diced
Prepare the Beef
- Remove the roast from the fridge and packaging. Pat dry with Paper Towel.
Prepare the Seasoning Mix
- Mix the vinegar, oil and seasonings together and whisk until combined.
Prepare the Slow Cooker
- Spray the Slow Cooker with Cooking Spray, Add the diced onion and garlic to the bottom. Turn the Slow Cooker to High or Low (Low will take 10 Hours, High with take 7)
Add Ingredients and Cook
- Add Roast to the Slow cooker so that it sits in the middle of the slow cooker on top of the onions and garlic. Pour the Seasoning mixture on top of the beef. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and let cook. It is said that every time you open the lid of a slow cooker while it is on, you increase the cooking time by 30 minutes. SO don't do it 😆
- Cook on Low The Roast Should Take 10 hours. If its not cooked, you can extend the cooking time by an additional hour or until it is falling apart.Cook on High - The Roast Should Take 6 Hours. If it is not cooked, you can extend the cooking time by an additional hour or until it is falling apart.It's important to note that Newer slow cookers cook at a high temperature than old ones. So, if your slow cooker was manufactured in the last 10 years you will likely have 1 hour less cooking time.
Pull the Beef
- Cut off any cooking string that is on the roast. Discard. Using two forks, pull the beef until it is shredded into desired sized Pieces.