I make a lot of different types of spaghetti squash, but this Taco Spaghetti Squash is my husband's favourite. It's easy to see why as the squash is swimming in salsa with pockets of cheddar cheese. There is also, of course, browned ground beef and vegetables with taco seasoning. f you love Taco night, give this a go for a fun twist on a classic meal.
- Spaghetti Squash
- Ground Beef
- Bell Pepper
- Taco Seasoning
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions/Chives
- Cherry Tomatoes
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1.5 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
How to Cut a Spaghetti Squash
- Cut the Top Off
- Place the Side down on the cutting board and put the squash in half, lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and strands.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I bake Spaghetti Squash?
when baked at 450F, it will take 30-40 minutes. Time will vary because no two squashes are the same size. Check after 30 minutes to see if you can easily shred it with a fork, If you can - it's done!
How Do I Tell if Spaghetti Squash is Done Baking?
The Fork should easily be able to break the squash apart into el dente strands
Taco Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Spaghetti Squash Halved and Cored
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Table salt
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
Meat and Vegetables
- ½ Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Cup White Button Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet
- 2 Cups Salsa
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Sour Cream Divided
- 1 Stalk Green Onion Diced
- ½ Cherry Tomatoes Quartered
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Line a large Baking Sheet with Parchment Paper
- Cut the top off the squashes and then place the cut side down on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut the squash in half, length-wise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and strings inside - just like you would do to a pumpkin.
- Brush the oil on the cut side of the squash and then season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the squash cut side DOWN on the baking sheet. use a fork to poke holes in the skin. Bake for 30-40 minutes (Cook time varies based on the size of the squash. You will know it's done when by flipping the squash over and running your fork down the inside of it. The fork should easily break up the squash into spaghetti-like strands that have a firm texture. I find it's best to first check at 30 minutes so that you don't overcook them. On average 35 minutes is sufficient time.
While your Squash Bakes (Filling and Toppings)
- To a deep frying pan or dutch oven: add the oil and heat to medium. Add ground beef and brown. Take care to break the meat apart as you cook it.
- Add mushrooms, onions and peppers to the meat. Saute until tender.
- Add water and seasoning packet. Stir to combine.
- Grate the cheese. Dice the green onion and cut up the tomatoes.
- Once the squash is cooked and shredded: Mix in the salsa. Then mix in ⅛ of a cup of cheese into each squash half.
- Add the meat to the squash and stir so its evenly distributed.
- Top with Cheese and then broil in the oven for 5 minutes (watch it though - we want bubbly cheese not burnt cheese.)
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, some green onion and tomatoes.