So, you have a bunch of cucumbers and want to make some basic sweet pickle relish? I have just the recipe for you! This relish is easy to make for beginners and doesn't have a lot of ingredients. It's a universal relish that can be thrown in egg salad, potato salad, on burgers, hotdogs and more!
- Red Pepper
- Celery Seed
- Mustard Seed
Sweet Pickle Relish
Perfect basic relish that has many uses.
- 8 Cups Cucumbers Deseeded and Finely Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Cored, Finely Diced
- 2 Yellow Onions Finely Diced
- Water enough to cover veggies (optional)
- 3 Teaspoons Pickkling Salt
- 1.5 Cups White Granulated Sugar
- 2 Cups Vinegar
- 1.5 Teaspoons Celery Seed
- 2 Teaspoons Mustard Seed
Prepare the Vegetables
- Cut both ends off the cucumbers. Cut in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape out the middle of the cucumbers to remove the seeds.
- Finely dice the red pepper and onion
Salt the Vegetables
- Place the diced vegetables in a large bowl and mix in the salt. You can also mix in water at this stage but that is optional. Let this mixture sit on the counter for 2-3 hours, covered.
- Run the vegetables under water to remove the salt.
- Press out excess moisture with a cheese cloth or kitchen towel.
Make the Brine
- In a Large Pot: Mix the vinegar, seasonings and sugar. Bring to a boil
Make the Relish
- Combine the drained vegetables with the brine. Simmer for atleast 10 minutes. (Taste your relish! if you want it sweeter, add more sugar. If its too sweet, add more vinegar. If you want it to be brighter, add some turmeric (¼ teaspoon)
- Follow the instructions on your canner to can this recipe or store it in the fridge for up to 2 months in an airtight container
Calories: 23kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 0.2gFat: 0.1gSaturated Fat: 0.01gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.01gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.03gSodium: 98mgPotassium: 36mgFiber: 0.2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 63IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 6mgIron: 0.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Review This Recipe: