Do I even need to give an opener when the title is as enticing as Banana Muffins with Nutella? Probably not, but I will. These muffins have FOUR bananas which keep them moist but also give huge banana flavour. The Nutella is thoughtfully swirled into the batter once in the muffin tins, creating seamless streams of Nutella baked into each muffin instead of pockets of chocolate like you get with banana Chocolate chip muffins.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Canola Oil (or other preferred oil)
- 4 ripe bananas
- Vanilla Extract
How to make banana muffins with Nutella
- Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix your wet ingredients in another bowl (except for the Nutella)
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Fill 18 lined muffin tins ¾ of the way with better.
- Top with 1 teaspoon of Nutella per muffin
- Take a toothpick and swirl the Nutella in. Take care to drag it through the batter so the Nutella isn't just in the top and middle of the muffin
Frequently Asked Questions
Using too much egg - recipes that stick with 1 large egg - about ¼ cup worth yields the best muffins
Oven temperature, your baking soda/baking powder or mixing can all cause a misshaped muffin.
Temperature - It's important to make sure your oven is accurate with an oven thermometer. 350F is the optimal temperature for perfectly rounded muffins.
Expired Baking Powder/Soda - You should change your baking soda and powder at least every 3-6 months after opening it. It can still work after that but it won't work as well and eventually stops working altogether.
Over Mixing - with muffins you want to mix your batter as little as possible once the flour is involved. that is why with this recipe, I have you mix the wet ingredients thoroughly before adding in the dry. The dry is mixed into the wet enough when you no longer see flour. If you're worried about it, you can let your batter sit for 10 minutes before baking.
I like an Ice Cream Scoop that is self-scraping, a large cookie scoop or worse case but still useful, is a ¼ cup dry measuring cup and a rubber spatula.
Yes! It's best to wrap them individually in saran wrap and then place them in a sealed airtight container or bag.
Microwave the Nutella before adding it to the muffins if you want to have an easier time swirling it.
Yes, I have made these gluten free with Bobs Red Mill 1:1 flour (still used 2 cups worth) I mixed the batter well and let it sit for 30 minutes before put them into the oven.
Other Great muffins:
- Sausage Pancake Mini Muffins
- Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Pie Muffins with a Cream Cheese Swirl
- Caramel Apple Muffins
Banana Muffins with Nutella
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 1 Large Egg
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil Shortening, melted butter or other oil can work too.
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Table Salt
- ½ Cup Walnuts Chopped
- 18 Teaspoons Nutella
- Preheat Oven to 350°F
- Line 18 cups with paper liners in a Standard Sized Muffin Tin
- In a Medium Bowl: Mash the bananas until all the chunks are gone. Add in the oil, egg and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- In another Medium Bowl: Sift in the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir to Combine. Now add in the sugars. Stir to break down any lumps from the brown sugar.
- Slowly encorporate the dry ingredients into th bowl of wet ingredients. You do not want to overmix the batter. You will know you have mixed enough when you no longer see any remaining traces of flour.
- If using nuts, you can stir them in now.
Fill Muffin Tin
- Using a large Cookie scoop, fill each muffin till ¾ full.
- Optional: You can now warm up the Nutella in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. This makes it easier to swirl and helps it not all sink to the bottom. I have made these without warming up the Nutella and they still turn out great but it is easier when the Nutella is warm. This recipe calls for 18 teaspoons of Nutella which is equivalent to 6 tablespoons or just over ⅓ of a cup.
- Add 1 Teaspoon of Nutella to each muffin.
- Use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella throughout the muffin. I like to go from the centre out to the liner and then back again.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15-17 minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted into a non-Nutella part of the muffin comes out with crumbs on it instead of batter 🙂
Review This Recipe: