These caramel apple muffins stay moist for up to a week, which is insane. They have a caramel in the center and are made with whole wheat flour... so you can't even feel bad if you, you know, ate it for breakfast! 😉
What do you need for these caramel apple muffins?
- Brown Sugar
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Caramel Squares
How do these muffins stay moist so long?
These muffins only have one egg in them which is what usually dries things out in baking!
I don't have caramel!
Look, these are honestly the best muffins ever BEFORE you put the caramel in. So don't walk about if you don't have caramel.
I usually just put caramel in the number of muffins I know we will eat right away while the caramel is hot and gooey. The unfortunate part about using caramel squares is that when the muffins cool completely the caramel does too and its still good but its not ooey gooey!
Loving Fall Baking? Try my Traditional Apple Crisp next ♥
Credit: This recipe is based off of Nagi's Super Stay moist apple muffins. I added Caramel, use salted butter instead of unsalted and Vanilla Extract. I also bake at 375 for 22 mins instead of her method of switching the oven temperature and baking for 20 minutes You can check out her recipe here.
Caramel Apple Muffins
- 2 Cups Apple Pieces 2-3 large apples. Peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
- ½ Cup Melted Butter Salted, or Margarine.
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 12 Caramel Square Candies Unwrapped 😂
- 2 tablespoons Course Brown Sugar Use regular brown sugar if that is all you have.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners
- Prepare the apples.
- In a med-large mixing bowl: Whisk the butter and brown sugar. Add in the milk egg, vanilla and vinegar stir to combine.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients and then stir to combine into the wet ingredients. You do not want to over mix. over mixing makes tough muffins! fold the dry into the wet about 10-15 times that is it! fold in the apples.
- Place a bit of mix in to the tins then add a caramel to each tin. top wit more muffin mix. finish off with a dusting of brown sugar.The muffin tins will be FULL I use my large cookie scoop to fill these. an ice cream scoop would work well too!
- Bake for 22 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.