Your favourite Salad and your favourite sandwich met and had a beautiful tasty baby, and it's name is Caprese Grilled Cheese.
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients:
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Balsamic Vinegar
Notes about the Ingredients:
Tomatoes: Are fresh in season tomatoes better than stale store bought tomatoes...yes obviously! But, any type of tomato will be fantastic in this sandwich. Be sure to slice the tomatoes a consistent thickness and to "marinate" them for at least 30 minutes.
My favorite tomatoes for this though are little baby ones such as cherry or grape. They are obviously more difficult to slice but the fact that they are smaller gives a better experience eating them. Truth bomb: 9/10 I use regular sized tomatoes because I usually have them on hand so truly anything will work here!
Cheese: My favourite mozzarella for this is saputo or trestelle but honestly anything will work for these Caprese Gilled Cheese!
Big Caprese Fan? Try Caprese Skewers next! They are the perfect appetizer.
Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 6 slices fresh bread
- 2 tablespoon margarine (approx)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided (approx)
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- 6 slices mozzarella
- Slice Tomatoes into coins, finely chop garlic cloves and basil then add to the tomatoes with oil and salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or covered in the fridge for up to 72 hours.Smear one side of each piece of bread with margarine then sprinkle with garlic powder.Place half of the slices of bread margarine side down on an indoor grill or sandwich press. Top with mozzarella, tomato mix, more mozzarella and cap with remaining bread slice. Grill until heated through.
5 Fast Facts About Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- Today’s notion of the grilled cheese is commonly traced back to the 1920s. This is when the Iowa man considered “the father of sliced bread” invented a bread slicer that made distributing white bread easy and affordable.
- In 2004, the online casino GoldenPalace.com paid $28,000 for a half-eaten grilled cheese with the likeness of the Virgin Mary depicted in the “burn” pattern.
- In 2009, Los Angeles hosted the world’s first grilled cheese cooking competition: thousands and thousands of people competed at and attended the National Grilled Cheese Invitational, which has turned into a much-anticipated annual food festival.
- ¾ of people who buy sliced cheese make at least one grilled cheese per month.
- The world record for eating grilled cheese is 47 sandwiches in 10 minutes.