I love a good classic egg salad sandwich, it is so nostalgic for me. You really don't need anything fancy to whip them up but I do prefer real mayonnaise to miracle whip. Below I go through different options for toppings or additional ingredients that you can add to the base egg salad mixture if you want to spice up this classic sandwich! I also have included how to get the perfect hard boiled egg plus common issue and solutions.
Egg Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- Homemade Bread
- Dijon Mustard (Optional)
- Paprika (Optional)
- Salt & Pepper
Egg Salad Sandwich Topping Ideas
- Red Bell Peppers & Green Onions
- Celery & Green Onion
- Carrots & Celery
- Diced Tomatoes & Bacon
- Cocktail Shrimp
- The possibilities are endless!
How to Hard Boil an Egg for a Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
Hard Boiling an egg simply means you are cooking the egg to a point that hardens the yolk.
Place the desired amount of eggs in a single layer in a pot. Cover with at least 1 inch of cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling remove from the burner and let the pot stand (keep that lid on!) for 12 minutes.
Once they are done you can remove the eggs from the water and place them in a strainer/colander and run cold water over them until they have cooled down. Now onto peeling!
How to Peel an Egg
K, do you know how many times I went through the annoying step of peeling eggs for egg salad sandwiches all for nothing? You don't need to perfectly peel them for this! You're cutting them up in a few minutes so who cares how you get that egg out! My method is the same way I would eat a boiled egg for breakfast. I take a knife and cut through the middle of the egg and then take a small spoon and scoop out each side. This is so fast 😎 If you have no idea what I'm talking about check this image out.
Q: Why are my eggs green?
A: A green ring is formed around the yolk when a boiled egg is not cooled down quick enough. To prevent this get your eggs out of the hot water and into an ice bath or under a cool stream of water from your tap ASAP. If your eggs do turn green no worries, you can still use them they taste just as fine and by the time you mix them up you will hardly notice.
Classic Egg Salad Sanfwich
- 6 Large Eggs
- 6 Tablespoons Mayonnaise Good Quality, like Hellmann's
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard Optional, but delicious
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika Optional, but delicious
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 Slices fresh bread
Boil the Eggs
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a pot. Cover with at least 1 inch of cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling remove from the burner and let the pot stand (keep that lid on!) for 12 minutes.Once they are done you can remove the eggs from the water and place them in a strainer/colander and run cold water over them until they have cooled down. Now onto peeling! For a tip on peeling eggs see note in recipe introduction.
Prep the Toppings
- Finely dice your chosen toppings. For these pictures I did ½ red bell pepper and one stalk of green onion. For more topping combo ideas see the note in the recipe introduction.
Put it all together
- In a medium mixing bowl, place your peeled eggs with the mayonnaise, mustard and paprika. Use a pastry cutter and cut the eggs until they are small and the ingredients are nicely mixed in.
- Add in the toppings and season with salt and pepper. stir to combine.
- divide into 4 portions. cover once piece of bread with the filling and then top with another piece of bread. Slice diagonally, because why not. Enjoy!