Too many tomatoes? Try this simple and easy oven roasted tomato pasta sauce! I don't normally make pasta sauce from scratch. It is much cheaper to buy some delicious Prego sauce from Costco.. UNLESS its Summer and you have a million tomatoes😍 When I have some beautiful vine ripened garden tomatoes this is one of the first things I make. So simple and delicious.
All you need for delicious homemade pasta sauce:
- THATS IT!!
Why you should Roast the Veggies in the Oven
Roasting your veggies isn't necessary but it is what helps make this the most delicious homemade tomato sauce! Roasting adds a depth of flavour and brings out the natural sugars of the vegetables. To roast, I leave the tomatoes whole. Peel the onions and quarter them. Peel the garlic. Drizzle olive oil or canola oil over the produce. Lightly Salt everything.
Why is my sauce not a deep red like store bought?
If you want a deep red colour you will need to use a food mill to bend the sauce. Using a blender or immersion blender will incorporate a lot of air which lightens up the colour. It tastes the same either way, so I personally do not care. I am going to be just as happy with my big bowl of pasta. light red, dark red - who cares! This recipe is for Easy Oven Roasted Tomato Pasta Sauce not SUPER RED oven roasted tomato pasta sauce haha!
Easy Oven Roasted Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Immersion Blender
- Food Mill
- 3 pounds Ripe Tomatoes
- 2 Medium Onions
- 1 Head Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil or light tasting olive oil
- ½ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon salt more to taste at the end
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar more to taste at the end
Roast the Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400°FPlace the ripe tomatoes and peeled garlic cloves on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat, parchment paper or tinfoil. Peel and cut the onions into quarters.Drizzle the oil over the ingredients on the baking sheet and then sprinkle the salt on.Bake for 40mins
Simmer The Sauce
- Add all of your roasted goodies along with your fresh basil leaves into a large dutch oven or soup pot with one cup of water. Simmer on low for about 30 mins. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with Salt and Sugar until it is to your liking. The Salt and Sugar level will vary greatly depending on personal preference and the natural sweetness of the tomatoes and onions.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can cool the sauce and then blend in a stand blender.