I was gifted the Pineapple Jalapeno Hot Honey featured in this recipe. You can source a bottle of this honey by checking out Peace River Honey's Website.
There is chicken and waffles, and then there is Jalapeño and Cheddar Chicken and Waffles. This dish has all of the things that make food great: Salt, Acid, Fat, and Heat.
A Belgian waffle sweetened with pineapple jalapeño honey with cheddar cheese and jalapeños folded right into the batter. The chicken is double deep fried and perfectly seasoned. Then it is all drizzled with the pineapple jalapeño honey and top with sliced pickles!.
What do you need to make Chicken and Waffles?
- Baking Powder
- Pineapple Jalapeño Hot Honey (can use regular honey instead)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Maple Syrup
Tips for a successful meal:
Here are a few tips to help make your chicken and waffle experience a smooth one:
- Lay out all of the ingredients you need for each dish in separate areas and pre measure them. This is called mise en place and ensures that you don't forget anything along the way. 😉
- If you have a single waffle iron, once the waffles are made, I suggest you place them on a baking sheet in the oven set to a low temperature to keep them warm until the chicken and the rest of the waffles are cooked.
- Work in batches when deep frying so that you don't over crowd the oil and bring the temperature down drastically.
- You can also use the oven to keep the chicken that is done frying warm.
The Gist of it:
- Batter the chicken
- Fry the chicken
- Make the waffles
- Fry the chicken again
Frequently Asked Questions about Jalapeño and Cheddar Chicken and Waffles:
In my mind all chicken and waffles should be served with Classic Cabbage Coleslaw
Use regular Liquid Honey or Pure Maple Syrup!
You can turn a large pot (Dutch Oven) into a deep fryer. Here are some tips if you are frying in a Dutch Oven for the first time.
More Great Recipes:
Jalapeño and Cheddar Chicken and Waffles
- 1 Deep Fryer or Dutch Oven
- 1 Waffle Iron
- 3-4 Pounds Chicken Any Chicken Cut works so use what you have!
Chicken - Wet Mixture
- 1½ Cups Cold Water
- 2 Eggs
- 1⅓ Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
Chicken - Dry Mixture
- 2⅔ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Canola Oil
- 1¾ Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Pineapple Jalapeno Honey Or regular liquid honey
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Pickled Jalapenos Diced
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 6 Garlic Dill Pickles Diced
- Pineapple Jalapeno Honey or regular liquid honey
- Maple Syrup Optional
Canola Oil For Frying the Chicken
Prepare the Chicken
- In a mixing bowl: Combine the wet mixture ingredients: water, eggs, flour and salt. Add the chicken to the bowl and stir to coat each piece of chicken thoroughly.
- In a large plastic bag mix the dry chicken ingredients: add the flour and seasonings. Close the bag and shake to combine.
- Add the coated chicken to the seasoned flour and shake the bag to coat the piece. Place the chicken on a tray until ready to deep fry. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
Fry the Chicken
- Preheat the oil to 375°F
- Cook the chicken according to your deep fryers instructions. You will work in batches so that you do not over crowd the dryer. Adding too much chicken at once will cause the oil temperature to drop to low. Most chicken will be deep fried for 8 minutes and then removed before being friend for an additional 8 minutes. This means each piece will be fried for a total of 16 minutes.
- Place completely cooked chicken in your oven on a cookie sheet to remain warm until you have cooked all of your chicken.
- With a hand mixer, beat the eggs on high until fluffy. This takes about 5 minutes
- Add the milk, oil, honey, salt and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the flour. Do not over mix.
- Now Fold in the cheese and jalapenos.
- Spay your preheated waffle iron with non cook spray and add batter. I have a single use Belgian waffle iron and use about ¼Cup of batter per waffle.
- Place cooked waffles in oven with the cooked chicken to stay warm until read to serve.
- Place the waffle on the plate first. Top with two pieces of chicken. Top the chicken with sliced pickles and drizzle everything with honey and or maple syrup.