Soup this good shouldn't be so easy, but it is. Hi. Its me, the big soup fan back in action as the weather cools off for winter. Today I want to share with you how to make super simple roasted pumpkin soup. It only has 5 ingredients! Plus, I am going to show you how to cut up a pumpkin to cook it! Lets Go!
What do I need to make Pumpkin Soup?
- A pumpkin. (4-5lb lil guy)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Chicken stock (you can go veggie or beef stock here too)
- Cream (or milk, or coconut milk)
CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT IS ALL YOU NEED?! me either. Obviously you will want some salt and pepper, too.
So, maybe you have never cooked with a real pumpkin before. That's ok! Let me show you how. Super easy. Very similar to breaking down a honey dew melon or cantaloupe. 😋
How to Cut a Pumpkin before Cooking it:
Now that you know how to cut a pumpkin to cook it, let me show you how to turn that into soup!
How to Make Pumpkin Soup
- Roast the Pumpkin, Onion and Garlic
- Add to a Soup pot/Dutch Oven with Soup Stock
- Bring to a Simmer.
- Blend with Immersion Blender.
- Season with Salt and Pepper
- Serve and Top with Cream
I told you it was easy.
If you're on a soup kick, try my Easy Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup next. Very similar process to this soup, so you're already a pro.
This recipe was inspire by Nagi from Recipe Tin Eats. She doesn't roast her ingredients first so if you want to skip the oven, check out her method!
Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 1 3-4 Pound Pumpkin
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 900ml Chicken Stock Carton or concentrated plus water to yield 900-1000ml/1 Litre
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream Divided for Serving
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Canola Oil Optional for use when roasting the pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 425°F
Cut up the pumpkin
- See Above Photos. Cut Pumpkin in Half. Remove Seeds Etc with a spoon. Remove Peel. Cut into even sized pieces.
- Place the pumpkin pieces, onion (that has been cut into large chunks) and peeled garlic cloves on a cookie sheet and roast until the pumpkin is tender (can easily be pierced with a fork) about 20 minutes.
Soup it Up
- Add Roasted Ingredients to a soup pot. Add Chicken Stock and simmer. About 5 minutes
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Place into bowls. Top with Cream. Enjoy!!