If you're looking for an easy hands-off side dish, try these roast potatoes in a slow cooker for your next meal. I especially love this easy side dish on busy farm days when I need the meal making itself while we are out working and don't have an exact time in mind that we will be in for dinner. These potatoes take about 6 hours on low but if you are running behind they are still just as good after 8 hours or more!
- Baby Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
How to Cook Baby Potatoes
- Wash them
- Put them in the slow cooker.
- Drizzle Olive oil over them
- Add Seasoning
- Use your hands or a spoon to stir everything until the potatoes are evenly coated in the seasoning and oil.
- Cover and cook
- Season the potatoes with salt at the end of cooking.
AS long as you can put your lid over the potatoes, your slow cooker will work. The lid needs to sit on the rim of the pot (dish) or else the heat will escape and your cook time will be exponentially longer.
I find regular potatoes do work but you should add at least a ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice to the mix or else the potatoes will start to discolour. Note: the lemon flavour is delicious but if you or your family doesn't love lemon flavour, stick to baby potatoes and the recipe as written.
New potatoes, gemstone potatoes and baby potatoes.
Make sure the lid will fit over your potatoes. Double your cooking time.
What to serve with roast potatoes
As you can see, I just served these with Steamed Broccoli and Pan Seared, Garlic Butter Basted Sirlon Steak. Some other good pairings are:
- Pulled Beef Slow Cooker (Serve the potatoes leftover with some pulled beef in a bowl. I like to quarter the potatoes and reheat in the microwave and then saute some onions, mushrooms, garlic and red pepper in a frying pan with pulled beef and bbq sauce.
- Oven Roasted Cross Rib Roast
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Roast Potatoes in a Slow Cooker
- 1 Slow Cooker I use a 5 QT for this recipe. Just make sure your lid can sit closed with the potatoes in it.
- 3 Pounds Baby Potatoes Whole, Skin on.
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- ½ Teaspoon Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
Add at the end
- ½ Teaspoon Table Salt or more, to taste
- Wash the potatoes and place them in your slow cooker.
- Drizzle Olive oil over them
- Add Seasonings (do not add salt until the end of cooking)
- Use your hands or a spoon to turn the potatoes over until they are all evenly coated with the oil and seasoning.
- High 3-4 HoursLow 6-8 HoursEverytime you open the slow cooker, your cook time roughly increases by 30 minutes. there is no need to stir these as they cook. The olive oil and seasonings will not burn and the potatoes will not sick! Have faith. 😊
- I like to add the salt right before serving by evenly sprinkling it over the potatoes. salt concentrates over time and I find it is easy to over-salt food in a slow cooker by adding it at the beginging.
Review This Recipe: