Yeah, I don't know what to call this but Tortilla Lasagna will do. Maybe we can get the name Laspizzadilla to catch on because it is the shape of a pizza, the layers of lasagna and the flavours and ingredients of a beef quesadilla! This, just as the name suggests, combines three great comfort foods; Tortillas, lasagna, and pizza. I created this because I felt bored of the same old tacos and also too lazy to make burritos so check this out if you love the taste of tacos but want to switch things up and still have a quick and easy weeknight meal for the whole family will love.
- 10" Tortillas
- Lean Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Onion - Optional
- Garlic - Optional
- Bell Pepper - Optional
- Jar of Salsa
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream - to serve
- Limes, Fresh Parsley or Cilantro - To Serve, Optional
How to make Tortilla Lasagna
- Brown Meat and Saute Vegetables
- Add Salsa, Simmer
- Grate Cheese
- Layer Tortillas, Cheese and Filling
- Top with cheese and Broil
- Slice and Serve
Yes, freeze before baking. Freeze in a tupperware style container. It will keep for up to 6 months. To bake it after freezing: place in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Bake COVERED at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes, then UNCOVERED for 15 more minutes. If your cheese has not melted enough, you can broil for 2-3 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
To reheat, microwave for 1-2 minutes from thawed, or from frozen, microwave 2 minutes on 50% power and 2 minutes full power.
in addition to the beef, salsa and taco seasoning you can add: Black Beans, Canned Corn, Refried Beans or Pickled Jalapenos.
I like to serve this with a simple salad such as: Cucumber Salad or Balsamic Strawberry Spinach Salad
Tortilla Lasagna - Laspizzadilla
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil For the Pan
- 1.5 Pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Jar Salsa 16 oz or 473 ml
- ½ Bell Pepper Diced (red, yellow or orange)
- 6 10" Wheat Tortilla Wraps
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil To Brush on Tortilla before baking
- 1 Teaspoon Salt To sprinkle on top tortilla before baking
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 Cup Sour Cream Served on the side or top
- ¼ Cup Parsley or Cilantro diced, optional
Preheat Oven to 400°F
- In a Large Pot on medium heat: Add oil. Brown the beef and break apart into small pieces. Add in garlic, onion and peppers. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add Salsa and Taco seasoning packet. Let Simmer for 5 minutes. The Taco seasoning has cornstarch in it, so the mixture will thicken as it cooks. While it simmers, shred the cheese.
- On a pizza pan: Place 1 tortilla wrap Spoon on sauce in an even layer leaving a 1 inch boarder sauce free, Sprinkle Cheese on top. Repeat this step until all the sauce is gone. The top layer should just have a bare tortilla.
- Use a pastry brush to apply a small amount of canola oil to the top tortilla and to any exposed tortilla on the other layers. (this will help it crisp up!) Sprink with salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, add cheese on top and then bake for 5 more minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces (cut like you would a pizza) Sprinkle fresh herbs on top, if desired.
- Serve with sour cream or other favourite sauce.
Review This Recipe: