Basic doesn't have to be boring - with this recipe you will achieve Crispy Oven-baked Chicken Thighs that are juicy and perfectly seasoned. Skin-on chicken thighs are tossed in oil and a blend of herbs and spices then baked.
- Chicken Thighs
- Canola Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Italian Seasoning or Parsley, Thyme, Basil and Oregano
How to Make Crispy Chicken Thighs in The Oven
1.) Pat the Chicken Dry- Patting the chicken dry with paper towel helps remove unecessary moisture and get a crispier finish.
2.) No need to wash the Chicken - washing chicken before you cook it can increase your rise of food poisoning from bacteria.
3.) Skip the marinade - While marinating can infuse flavour having your meat in a marinade for over two hours can actually toughen the meat. This recipes uses a blend of spices to season the chicken so you have flavourful, tender, juicy and crispy chicken.
4.) Don't Crowd the pan - If you have a convection oven (has a fan) make sure you are using a rack ontop of your baking sheet. This helps the air circulate around the chicken resulting in a crispier finish. If you have a conventional oven (no fan) you can still achieve crispy results, the main thing to ensure is that you don't overcrowd the sheet pan. Space out the chicken.
5.) Cook to the correct temperature - Skin can only get crispy once its cooked. You need a hot hot oven and a piece of chicken that is cooked through. An instant read thermometer should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit before you remove it from the oven.
What goes well with Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs?
- Broccoli Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Crispy Greek Potatoes
- Apple Walnut Spinach Salad
- Simple Grilled Peach Blueberry Salad with Balsamic Glaze
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- 3 Pounds Skin On Chicken Thighs 6-8 Pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil or your favourite high smoke point cooking oil
- 2 Teaspoons Table Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning or ½ Teaspoon of each: Parsley, thyme, oregano and Basil.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Pat any moisture off of the surface of the chicken with paper towel.
- Prepare a baking sheet. Conventional oven (no fan)- line a sheet pan with a silicone liner, tin foil or parchment paper. Convection Oven (fan) - line a sheet pan with a silicone liner, tin foil or parchment paper and then place a grate over top of it so that the air can circulate around the chicken
- Place Chicken In a large bowl. Add all of the oil and spice blend. Toss until every piece of chicken is evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on prepared sheet pan, taking care not to crowd the pan
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Chicken is safe to eat when it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F or greater.