Broccoli Bacon Mac and Cheese is perfect for when you want to satisfy all the cravings but pretend its a smidge healthy for you. This Cheese Sauce is similar to my Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup but it obviously includes some macaroni, bacon and a few other goodies.
- Elbow Macaroni (or your favorite pasta)
- Onion Powder
- Cheddar Cheese
How to make Broccoli Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Cook the Pasta
- Make the Sauce
- Sauté the mushrooms, bacon and Broccoli
Broccoli Bacon Mac and Cheese FAQ:
I find any short pasta works great. Penne, fusilli, rotini, shells etc.
You can freeze the sauce separately. I wouldn't freeze the pasta mixed with the sauce. It would end up being rather mushy by the time you reheated and ate it. Tp freeze the sauce simply place in a ziploc bag and when you're ready to use it you can defrost it in the fridge and heat it up on low heat on the stove top.
You can microwave but if you're reheating this way I find the best method is to heat it for a minute, stir and repeat. Do this until heated through. If you just put it in the microwave for 3-5 minutes off the hop the sauce usually breaks and it gets all greasy and gross.
If you like this recipe try:
Broccoli Bacon Mac and Cheese
- ¼ Cup Salted Butter
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups 2% Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or more to taste
- 250 Grams Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 3 Cups Elbow Macaroni
- ½ Pound Cooked Bacon Diced
- 1 Cup White Mushrooms Diced
- 1 Cup Broccoli Diced
- Cook to package instructions.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat: melt the butter. Stir in the flour. Cook these two together for 2 minutes. Add the milk ¼ of a cup at a time whisking to fully incorporate before adding the next ¼ cup. It will thicken each time before you add more milk.
- Add in the seasonings and cheese. Turn the heat off and stir until the cheese has melted and being combined into the sauce.
- To a frying pan on medium heat, add the diced bacon and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are tender. Add the broccoli and toss to combine. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add it back to the pot you cooked it in. Add the sauce and toppings. Stir to coat everything evenly in the sauce. Serve and Enjoy!