This Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is great because you don't need any special tools to make it and it take less than 20 minutes to make. Its creamy and delicious and is loved by all members of my family. If I'm being real with you its basically a thinned out version of the cheese sauce from mac and cheese with broccoli added... so you know this is goooood.
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Chop up your onion and garlic and add it to the pan with your butter.
- Add in the flour.
- Slowly add in the milk and stock. Whisking well!
- Add in the Cheese and Broccoli.
- Simmer to Thicken and cook the Broccoli.
Since this is a roux based (Milk) I wouldn't recommend freezing it. I also have never had this last longer than a couple days in my house so I do not think you will either!
I like OLD Cheddar cheese for this because it melts well. And most importantly OLD cheddar cheese gives the most flavour for the least amount of cheese. If you think you should use mild, medium or marble cheese you're gonna end up using ALOT more cheese to get the same depth of flavour. And have you seen cheese prices, ain't no body got dolla bills for that.
Ya, of course! I often use bouillon cubes in cooking. Especially in soups. I think the Knorr cubes are a great option for this recipe as one cube yields 2 cups of liquid.
Using cream is going to result in a creamier, richer, higher calorie dish. If that suits your fancy GO FOR IT. Is it necessary? No. I usually use 1% or 2% milk in this soup and find the cheese and roux add enough of a creaminess that cream isn't necessary.
As a firm believer in 'you can never have too much cheese' I think that Garlic Cheddar Drop Biscuits pair wonderfully with this soup.
I am fairly certain I originally made this soup based off of the one Averie Cooks has. She adds more spice and it is a copycat of the beloved Panera broccoli cheddar soup.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- ¼ Cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 small Onion finely diced
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock or any soup stock
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground BlackPepper
- 113 grams Old Cheddar Cheese (approx 2 cups)
- 3 Cups Finely Chopped Broccoli
Prep The Ingredients
- This soup comes together quickly, so its helpful to start with everything prepped. Dice the onion and garlic super small, you're not blending this soup so cut it as small as you're happy to eat it. Finely Chop the Broccoli and Shred the Cheese.
Make the Soup
- In a large soup pot/Dutch oven on medium heat add the butter with the onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the onion is tender.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion mix and stir to mix it all in.
- Now you will slowly add in the milk and soup stock. The key here is to add just a bit of liquid at a time. Stir to make sure all the flour and liquid are blended and then add it a bit more liquid - repeat until all the liquid is in.
- Add in the seasonings, cheese and broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the soup until the broccoli is tender and the soup has thickened up a bit. About 7 minutes.