Want dinner in less than 30mins but tired of the same old - same old? Make this quick and easy chicken pesto sandwich for your family tonight! I like to serve it with Sweet Potato Fries and an apple almond slaw. (Recipe for each below)
What is in this Pesto Chicken Sandwich?
- Bread (I use my homemade bread, you can also use a crusty bread/bun like ciabatta
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Butter or Margarine
As mentioned I like to serve this with Sweet Potato Fries and Apple Almond Slaw. Below are the simple recipes for each.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 Large Sweet Potato (per 2 people)
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- .5 teaspoon garlic powder
- .5 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (after cooking)
- Fresh Parsley for serving
Peel the potato(es) then cut into one centimeter slices and then cut those slices into one centimeter strips. Tada you have fries. You can soak the potatoes for 30mins if you want to rid your fries of extra starch I don't find too much of a difference either way with sweet potatoes/yams but I always soak regular potatoes.
Dry the fries if you soaked them. Toss in the oil. Mix the cornstarch and seasoning. Sprinkle Seasoning over fries. Toss to Coat.
Cook in a 450 ∘F Oven for 15 minutes. Turn each fry over. Bake for another 15. Season with Salt.
Apple Almond Slaw
1 Apple (per 2 People)
1 teaspoon Honey
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ cup Sliced Almonds
Cut the Apple into matchsticks, toss in the honey, vinegar and almonds ..THATS IT! So easy and amazingly fresh side to add to any meal.
Pesto Chicken Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Pesto
- 4 Slices Bread
- 2 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise Good Quality, such as Hellmanns
- 1 tablespoon Pesto
- 1 Large Tomato Sliced
- ½ Cup Baby Spinach
Cook the Chicken
- Season both sides of the chicken with Salt and Pepper.
- On Medium Heat add canola oil to a frying pan and swirl around the pan.
- Sear chicken on both sides making sure to brown each side before flipping. Keep a lid on the pan during this process to cook the chicken faster and keep the oil splatter in the pan. Once chicken is cooked, shred the chicken. Add Pesto. Toss to Coat.
Construct the Sandwich
- Mix the mayonnaise and remaining pesto.
- Butter one side of the bread and add the pesto mayo to the other side. Place the bread buttered side down. Lay two pieces of sliced tomato, then the chicken, followed by the spinach top with bread, mayo pesto side down.Sandwich Order: Butter - Bread - Pesto Mayo - Tomato - Chicken -Spinach - Pesto Mayo - Bread -Butter
- Sear each side until browned to a satisfactory doneness. This doesn't take long, so keep an eye on it 😉
- Note: If you are using a bun forego the butter and just add the pesto mayo.
Five Fast Facts about Pesto
- Pesto is a condiment or paste used for culinary purposes, and it is primarily for used for flavouring dishes.
- Pesto is typically made of olive oil; parmesan cheese; garlic; nuts, such as pine nuts; and herbs – usually basil.
- ‘Pesto’ comes from the word ‘pestâ’ or ‘pestare’, meaning ‘to pound’ or ‘crush’, that originates from the Genoese language in Italy.
- Italy’s Liguria in Europe is the original home of pesto, although Ancient Romans made a similar condiment with different herbs, named ‘moretum’.
- Pesto is made by crushing the ingredients; and when made at home, the tool historically used is a mortar and pestle, although modern appliances, like blenders, are sometimes used.