Let's be real for a minute. We all need to be in a mood to enjoy salad. Put that in a wrap and hot diggity are we in for a treat. 😅 Seriously, all these easy shrimp spring rolls are is; thinly sliced veggies and marinated shrimp - with a peanut sauce! SO easy. If you can roll up a wrap, you can make these.. Let me show you!
- Rice Paper - Find this in the Asian section of the grocery store.
- Cooked Shrimp - You know the kind that you eat in a shrimp ring? Those guys 😋
Any veggies you want but I use:
- Green Onion
- Red Cabbage
- Yellow Bell Pepper
Shrimp Marinade Ingredients
- Brown Sugar
- Lemon or Lime Juice
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Rice Wine Vinegar (or regular vinegar)
- Garlic Powder
Peanut Sauce Ingredients (You can 100% Buy Peanut Sauce at the Store too)
- Peanut Butter
- Red Chili Garlic Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Lime or Lemon Juice
I'm not all against salads. I have some pretty tasty ones on this site. Try my Beet and Berry Summer Salad with Feta Cheese after this. SO GOOD. I need to read a thesaurus as I think all my recipes are SO GOOD. haha.
Are these Vietnamese Spring Rolls?
Are these Vietnamese Spring Rolls? well..mmm no..kinda? These are a play on them. In addition to the ingredients I use, Vietnamese spring rolls have Vermicelli Noodles, pork and Lettuce in them. These shrimp spring rolls are just a bunch of vegetables and marinated shrimp. aka the best part of Vietnamese Spring rolls 😎
So, true story: Most people soak rice paper too long. Even the packaging says to soak it too long. I soak it in COLD water for 5-10 seconds. It will continue to soften on the plate as you top it with ingredients.
The world is your oyster. Snap Peas, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Green Cabbage, MANGO (doesn't have to be all veggies) Avocado. The possibilities are endless. Stuff it with the veggies you have on hand, that you and your family enjoy.
Yes! These can be made up to a day in advance. Just cover up and refrigerate. Spray lightly with water before serving if you feel the need to moisten the rice paper again.
Pork! Commonly in Vietnamese rolls you will find shrimp and pork. You can honestly put whatever chilled meat you would like in these. They are a rolled up salad and you are the head chef in your Kitchen. 😀
If you can't source rice paper rolls here is the link to them at walmart.ca (not affiliate)
Here is a link to a peanut sauce I will buy if I don't feel like making some.(Not Affiliate)
Peanut Sauce Recipe
- ½ Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Sryup
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Garlic Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Lime (or Lemon) Juice
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Peanuts for topping (optional)
Easy Shrimp Spring Roll
- 30 Cooked Shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice can sub Lemon Juice
- ½ Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar or any clear vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger paste of freshly grated or sub for ¼ the amount as ginger powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (Optional) Leave out if you don't like spice
- ½ Cup Peanut Sauce (recipe above or use store bought)
- 1 Large Carrot Julienned
- ½ English Cucumber Julienned
- 2 Radish Cut into thin coins
- 1 Cup Red Cabbage Julienned
- ½ Bell Pepper Julienned
- 2 Stalks Green Onion Julienned
Rice Paper Wraps
- 10 Rice Paper Wraps
- Water for softening
- There are a few steps with these but they are all really simple. Get all your ingredients ready and then assemble.
Thaw and Marinate Shrimp
- Remove Shrimp from packaging. Mix marinade with frozen shrimp and leave to thaw with the sauce, Once thawed, remove the tails. Discard any extra sauce
Make or take out store bought peanut sauce peanut sauce
- Wash, peel and slice the vegetables. The key here is get them all a similar length and thickness. This makes assembling the rolls much easier! This takes a bit of time if you're not used to these types of cuts. So, get a nice sharp knife and put on a podcast or playlist and enjoy the process. I would not recommend putting on a good show to watch as your eyes should be on your knife work 😉
Rice Paper Wraps
- Get out a dish that is bigger than the rolls. I find a cake pan or pie dish are the perfect vessel. Fill with cold water. I don't care what the package says just do this haha. Cold water.
- Dip the wrappers in the water for about five seconds and then flip for five seconds take out and put on your plate. They will continue to rehydrate as you assemble your rolls. If you soak them too long they will tear and you'll have a mess on your hands so just quick in and out. On to the plate.😁
- Place the hydrated wrap on a plate or cutting board. layer with ingredients. I find it works best to put the shrimp down first (3 per wrap) then the radish coins. Followed by the julienned vegetables.
- Roll your wrap up. Bottom up, sides in and then roll.
- Serve with Peanut Sauce. PS: Its easiest to eat these whole. I only cut them in half for the photo to show you the filling.