Sometimes you need an easy quick and light meal - that is exactly what you get when you make Garlic Shrimp with Coconut Rice. This meal is ready in a mere 20 minutes, it is comprised of simple, common ingredients and will have you making it regularly on busy nights for its flavourful bites.
- Shrimp - I LOVE the Raw Wild Argentinian Extra Large Shrimp from Walmart (Great Value Brand.) It is naturally pink when raw and tastes more like lobster tail than shrimp!
- Garlic Powder
- Salt Black Pepper
- Canola Oil
- Rice - Jasmine is best but any rice that cooks in 20 minutes is great (I personally like Uncle Ben's Converted Rice)
- Coconut Milk (Light or Regular whatever suits your fancy)
- Cilantro - 100% Optional. If you don't love cilantro don't use it!
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Onion
- (can use other fresh veggies too such as red cabbage, peas, spinach, mushrooms, and shaved Brussels sprouts.)
How to Make Garlic Shrimp
- This shrimp is sold frozen you can thaw it in the fridge or run it underwater until you're able to remove the shell. It is already deveined but I like to make sure it's clean by rinsing it before seasoning it.
- Place the peeled and cleaned shrimp in a bowl and toss them in the canola oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before cooking.
- Over Medium-High heat saute the shrimp until cooked through.
How to Make Coconut Rice
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- In a pot; mix the coconut milk, water and salt - Stir. Add RIce and Cilantro
- Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat
- Fluff with a fork once cooked.
How to Julienne Vegetables
Julienne (joo-lee-EHN) is a French word for cutting food into thin long strips or “matchsticks” using a knife or a mandoline. This technique is often used with vegetables to add texture to a dish and to ensure even cooking.
How to Julienne Carrots:
- Peel the carrots and cut them into 8cm lengths. Trim 1 side and turn to lie flat. Repeat 3 more times to trim the remaining sides.
- Carefully cut 1 trimmed carrot piece lengthways into 2-4mm thick slices. Arrange the carrot slices in a stack.
- Carefully slice the carrot stack lengthways into matchsticks. Repeat with the remaining carrot pieces.
How to Julienne Red Peppers
- Wash Peppers and Set them on the Cutting Board. Hold the pepper so that the pepper is resting its bottom on the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the sides off the peppers starting a few centimetres from the root and slicing down. This cut will avoid the core and seeds.
- Once you have the sides cut off, cut off the bottom as well. Now stack your pieces with the outside of the peppers' skin face down; this makes it easier to cut.
- Thinly slice the peppers into strips lengthwise.
How to Julienne Green Onions (Scallions)
- Wash and then Trim the Root off.
- Cut each stalk into 2 pieces
- Halve Each piece of scallion, continue to halve until you have even matchstick style slives.
More Easy Recipes
Garlic Shrimp with Coconut Rice
A quick, delicious and nutritious 20-minute dinner. Coconut rice, garlic-seasoned shrimp topped with fresh, thinly sliced vegetables.
- 300 grams Argentinian Extra Large Shrimp
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 2 Cups Jasmine Rice
- 400 ml Coconut Milk
- 1½ Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Sprigs Cilantro
- 1 large Carrot
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Stalk Green Onion
- 1 Sprig Cilanto
- If shrimp is still frozen run underwater to thaw slightly. Remove shell. Rinse
- Toss prepeared shrimp in seasonings, set aside.
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Place it in a medium-sized pot. Add Coconut milk, water and seasonings. Stir to combine. Add Cilantro. Boil for 20 minutes or as long as the brand of rice you are using packages says to cook for.
- Once the rice is finished cooking, fluff it up with a fork. Set Aside.
- Wash and cut the vegetables into thin slices. More details on how to julienne each vegetable are written above in the post.
Combine & Serve
- Divide the rice evenly onto four plates or bowls. Top with the Shrimp and vegetables.
Calories: 618kcalCarbohydrates: 81gProtein: 19gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 19gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1334mgPotassium: 529mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 3822IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 99mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Review This Recipe: