This soup is so tasty, its like a pierogi or a loaded baked potato. Instead of using milk and a roux base like most potato soups, it is thick by blending the vegetables and creamy from the addition of sour cream. It's super simple to make and your family will devour it. It also happens to be gluten free! Which is handy to have in your repertoire incase you have a celiac guest at your table. Growing up my mom always made a plain potato soup on Ash Wednesday when we had to fast all day and I would always imagine all the things I would put in it to jazz it up hahaha So, this is the delicious result.
Things you need for Gluten Free Potato Soup
- Potatoes (Russet)
- Celery (Optional)
- Chicken Stock (or vegetable stock)
- Salt & Pepper
- Sour Cream
- More Sour Cream
- Chives (Green Onion)
- Cheddar Cheese
In a soup mood? Try my Roasted Pumpkin Soup next! Its just as easy and delicious as this gluten free potato soup is!
I use an immersion blender in this recipe, this is not an affiliate link but I highly recommend this one if you're looking! Cuisinart Blender
You can but I wouldn't. Russet potatoes are the best because of how well they break down and their texture is conducive to create a creamy soup. Red, yellow and white are too firm and waxy - save those for roasting!
This is your soup you can do whatever makes your taste buds happy! I like to keep potato soup simple. Adding just salt and pepper. It is rare for me to omit garlic, but I do here because I find even just one clove, over powers the dish. The only herb I will occasionally add is some dill!! Which is fantastic 😋😋
Its best practise not to freeze potato soup as the potatoes soak up moisture and then become grainy when defrosted. I don't think I have ever had much in the way of leftovers with this soup. We usually have enough for lunch the day we eat it and then leftovers the next day.
You can blend this soup in a food processor or a regular blender. Careful with the steam and hot liquid though! Alternatively, you can use a potato masher. It won't be as smooth but it gets the job done. Be sure to cut the carrots, onion and celery very small if you are unable to blend the soup.
Gluten Free Potato Soup
- 6 Cups Russett Potatoes Peeled & Diced into 1" pieces (aprrox 5 medium potatoes)
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 Carrots Peeled and Diced
- 2 Stalks Celery Diced
- 1 Liter Chicken Stock Or your favourite soup stok
- ½ Tablespoon Salt Or more to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper or more to taste
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 4 Bacon Strips Baked and Cut into thin Strips
- 2 Green Onions Diced
- ½ Cup Old Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 8 Tablespoons Sour Cream 1 Tablespoon per bowl
Make The Soup
- Peel and cut the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery.
- Add the Soup stock and bring to a boil until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend until smooth with an immersion blender, regular blender, food processor or potato masher.
- Stir in the sour Cream and Serve
Prepare the Toppings
- Place a tablespoon of sour cream in each bowl. use a butter knife and drag it back and forth through the bowl, weaving in and out of the sour cream to create a ribbon effect. Top with Bacon, Cheese and Onion.