You need a kid friendly activity, that is Halloween themed, and tasty? Cool you've reached the right place. These kid friendly Halloween cutout sugar cookies should do the trick.. and be a treat
First off download/print the free Halloween shape cutout template below:
This recipe is simple and depending on the age of your kiddos, it can be pretty hands off for you.
Unless something drastically changes this is one of the few sugar cookie recipes you'll see on my site! I really don't love sugar cookies but I do love the activity of them. I am terrible at decorating so this is the perfect kid activity. Mom has coffee, kids make cookies. Perfect.Aqueena
- Make the dough
- Make the Icing
- Cut out the cookie shapes
- Bake the cookies
- Ice the cookies
Ingredients you will need for these Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Baking Powder
- Cocoa Powder
- White Sugar
Icing Recipes for Sugar Cookies
You can ice these cookies however you want. In my opinion that should be whatever your family finds tastiest/has the ingredients for. Here are 3 different types of icings that work well with sugar cookies.
This is the most popular icing for sugar cookies. Its the kind you see all the pro's using. It floods the cookies well, it pipes out of a bag well. It hardens beautifully. Its the cat's meow. Making it from scratch is doable but I like to just use meringue powder because I am a simple woman who likes simple things. You can buy meringue powder at most grocery stores. I get mine at Walmart in the cake decorating section. If you have meringue powder all you need to add is water and icing/confectioners sugar. YA, its the best. Directions are on the package 💁♀️
This is probably the most kid friendly icing for your Halloween sugar cookies. This is the classic icing you probably first learned to make when you were a kiddo yourself. It's made with common ingredients but it doesn't dry hard so it isn't a favourite for sugar cookies, if you're planning on packaging them. I think this is a great option for kids who have a skill level of scooping the icing on and spreading it with a knife, spoon or spatula.
All you need is:
- 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
Mix it all together in a bowl. divide into as many colours as you want to make and colour each bowl.
Check out this super easy glaze recipe. All you need is
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
This is a great option if you have an egg allergy or don't want to mess around with piping bags. Click here for the Recipe from Created by Diane.
I hope you enjoy these Chocolate Halloween Sugar Cookies. If you're on a bit of a chocolate kick right now? Try these Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies next!
Kid Friendly Halloween Cutout Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Sugar Cookie Dough
- ¾ cup White Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Butter Room Temperature
- 1 egg Egg Room Temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Make the Dough
- In the bowl of a mixer, blend togeteher the butter and sugar. Once incorporated add in the egg and vanilla.
- Now add in the remaining dry ingredients until it is all mixed together. I find my hands do the best job of the final forming of this dough.
Roll and Chill
- Dust your counter top with extra cocoa powder. Rollout the dough to ¼" thick. Wrap this in saran wrap and chill for at least an hour.
Cut out templates and Cookies
- While the dough chills, print off the template and get your kids to cut out the shapes.
- Remove dough from the fridge and unwrap.
- Place the shapes on the dough and use a butter knife to cut out the shapes.
- re roll out any dough scraps and repeat the process.
- Place shapes on cookie sheets that have been lined with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 11 mins. You will know that are done when the edges are firm and browning and the center of the cookie is still a bit soft. 🙂
Chill the Baked Cookies and Decorate
- While the cookies chill after baking, make your chosen type of icing and then decorate the cookies! (Three types of icing recipes listed above.)
If you make these kid friendly halloween cutout sugar cookies be sure to tag me on instagram @aqueenathekitchen to be entered in to all future giveaways and please, leave a review on the site. It helps me out in the land of google ♥