These Coconut Pecan Oatmeal Cookies are commonly referred to as 'Cowboy Cookies" This is because the former first lady, Laura Bush shared her recipe titled just that! Although my cookies are inspired by her original recipe they are not the same cookie. My version has less sugar, a different ratio of white:brown sugar and I use unsweetened coconut instead of the sweetened coconut she calls for. I also omit the baking soda and only use baking powder. I have been making these cookies for about 5 years and they are addicting ..so proceed with caution, you may turn into a blue cookie monster.
Ingredients for Coconut Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
- Brown Sugar
- White Granulated Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Rolled Oats
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Chocolate Chips
The Gist of it:
- Bring out cold ingredients to room temperature.
- Combine sugars with butter
- Add in vanilla, egg, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- Mix in flour.
- Fold in coconut, pecans, oatmeal and chocolate chips
- Divide into 18 even sized balls.
- Chill for 2 hours
FAQ About Cowboy Cookies:
Yes, they are interchangeable in this recipe and I often switch between the two.
You can, most recipes for this style of cookie call for it! I find it too sweet but many find it delicious.
No. I have used instant and old fashioned and both turn out delicious. Use what you have on hand 🙂
YES! For many years I would split the cookie dough in half. I would make half with raisins and half with chocolate chips. (Half a cup each if splitting dough)
They will spread out and be thinner. They are still good but not at all similar in thickness or diameter to the cookie you see in the photo of this post.
More Easy Recipes:
Big Cookie Fan? Try these ones next:
Coconut Pecan Oatmeal Cookies (Cowboy Cookies)
- ½ Cup Salted Butter Room Temperature
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Table Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour spooned and leveled
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Pecans Crushed
Make the Cookie Dough
- Measure out all of the ingredients and set aside. Bring cooled ingredients to room temperature. Bringing them to room temperature helps ensure better mixing.
- Whip the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the flour until just combined. But do not over mix.
- Now fold in the rest of the ingredients.
Form The Cookies
- Scoop into 18 even sized balls. and place on cookie sheets lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Chill The Cookies
- Place formed cookie dough balls in the fridge for 2 hours. You can cover the cookie dough with cellophane wrap if you feel like your fridge has some odors the cookies would be best to avoid absorbing.
Bake the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place cookies in the center of the oven and bake for 17 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheet so they firm up.
- Store in an airtight bag or container for up to one week on the counter.