If you're looking for a quick, satisfying and festive treat - you're in the right spot. These White Chocolate Canady Cane Cereal Bars are really easy to make but nice enough to present to guests. They have the classic chewiness you all know and love in a Rice Krispie square, but are richer thanks to the addition of bits of white chocolate throughout and ontop.
- Any Plain Cereal (Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes Etc.)
- Mini Marshmallows
- White Chocolate
- Candy Canes
The Gist of It
- Melt the butter and marshmallows
- Crush the candy canes
- Add vanilla and salt to melted marshmallows
- Stir the cereal, chocolate and some of the crushed candy canes to the marshmallow mix
- press mix into a greased 9x13 pan.
- melt chocolate and place in a piping bag to drizzle chocolate on or used a fork!
- sprinkle remaining crushed candy canes over the pan.
- Cover and chill to set completely
- Cut into even sized pieces big or small!
If you love seasonal cereal squares be sure to check out my Pumpkin Spice Cereal Bars sometime!
FAQ about White Chocolate Candy Cane Cereal Bars
Yes. At the end of the day they are the same. And you’re melting them! But, please note that with this recipe, I call for not melting two cups of the marshmallows and folding them in with the cereal. If you are using big marshmallows then chips them up into small pieces before folding them in during this step.
You could but I wouldn’t! Mint extract is sooo powerful you need to use it sparingly. If you are going to use it instead of candy canes then use about ⅛th of a teaspoon.
A blender, a food processor, an immersion blender or put them in a ziplock bag and hit them with a rolling pin
I use Candy Melts but you can use mini/regular white chocolate chips or white chocolate bars, almond bark or white bakers chocolate in place of that.
White Chocolate Candy Cane Cereal Bars
- ¼ Cup butter or margarine
- 8 Cups mini marshmallows divided (8 cups is a standard size bag of marshmallows)
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 Cups Rice Krispie cereal or other plain cereal
- 1 Candy Cane Crushed (2 tablespoons)
- ¼ Cup White Chocolate Chips or chopped white chocolate/candy melts
- 1 Candy Canes crushed (2 tablespoons)
- ¼ Cup White Chocolate melted
- Grease a 9 x 13" dish with canola oil spray You can use a 9x9" or 8x8" dish as well this will just make thicker bars.
Make The Bars
- In a large pot melt the butter.
- Take 2 cups of the marshmallows and set aside for later. Add the rest (about 6 cups) to the pot with the butter. Stir frequently until the marshmallows melt. Once melted, add in the vanilla and salt.
- Remove the pot from the stove. Fold in the cereal . Continue to fold/stir until all the cereal is covered. Now add in the extra marshmallows and two tablespoons of the crushed marshmallows and ¼ cup of chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips. stir until they are evenly distributed throughout the gooey goodness.
- Dump your creation into the greased pan and then press it all down with your hands to make it even on the top. (it really helps to oil your hands first or to have water on them)
- Sprinkle some of the crushed candy can over top of the bars.
- Melt the white chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave with the power set to 50%, stir in between each 30 second session. It should take about 1.5-2 mins in total. Using a fork, you can drizzle the white chocolate over the bars using a quick sweeping motion. Alternatively, you can using a piping bag with a small hole cut.
- Once chocolate drizzle is on, sprinkle on remaining candy canes.
Let the bars set
- Cover the dish with saran wrap and let your bars set until cooled completely (1-2 hours on the counter or about 25 minutes in the fridge)
- Slice, devour and remember to leave a review!