Cheeseburger cups are a quick satisfying main dish that starts with a Pillsbury dinner roll (Crescent or Biscuit work too) that's rolled flat and pressed into a muffin tin. This ’cup’ is then filled with your favourite toppings such as pickles and onions and browned ground beef that is coated in barbecue sauce. This is all topped with a thick slice of real cheddar cheese and baked to bubbly perfection. All in, this meal takes less than 30 minutes to make and bake and will be loved by the whole family.
Ingredients needed to make Cheeseburger Cups:
- Pillsbury Grands Biscuits or Dinner Rolls
- Ground Beef
- Montreal Steak Spice
- Barbecue Sauce
- Onions (Red or White)
- Real Cheddar Cheese
How to make Cheeseburger cups with Pillsbury dough:
- Brown the ground beef, season with steak spice. Coat in barbecue sauce.
- Roll each piece of dough to a 4” diameter.
- spray a standard size muffin tin with cooking spray place discs in muffin tin and shape into a cup by pressing flat to the bottom and up the sides.
- Fill each cup with onions - beef - pickles - and then cheese.
- Bake and Enjoy
Yes you can freeze these once they are baked. To reheat, defrost in the fridge and reheat in the microwave for roughly two minutes. Every microwave heats a bit different so check as you go 🙂
Tomatoes are something I wouldn't add. They have a lot of liquid and will be too moist for the dough. You can absolutely add other toppings such as bell peppers, mushrooms, olives and more just be conscientious of the water content.
This recipe has been made by many over the years I don't even know where I first came across these. If you want to check another recipe that is similar but with a homemade sauce you can check out this one here.
- Standard Muffin Tin
- 1 Can Refrigerated Pillsbury Biscuits or Dinner Rolls
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Teaspoon Montreal Steak Spice
- ¼ Red Onion Diced
- 2 Dill Pickles Diced
- ¾ Cup Barbeque Sauce
- 10 Slices Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray
- Over medium heat, brown the ground beef and break into small pieces - the smaller the better.
- Add in the Montreal steak spice and stir to combine.
- Add the Barbeque sauce, stir, and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- Open dough tube and remove 10 rounds. Roll into 4" wide disc. You can dust your work surface with flour if you want to. However, I never find the need to with this dough.
- Place each disc in the muffin tin and Firmly press in the bottom and up the sides.
- Dice pickles and onions. Slice Cheese into 2" x 2" squares. (You can also grate the cheese but I find slicing it to be less messy.) Set aside.
- Into the dough lined muffin tins: Evenly divide the onions into the bottom of each one. Now do the same with the beef. Followed by the pickles and then finally top each one with the cheese.
- Bake the tray for 13-15 minutes. They are finished when the edges of the cups are golden brown. Cool for a couple minutes before removing from the pan.