MMM Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake. You'll love it because its one dish, prep time is about 5 minutes and you can hide a million veggies in it and the kids will still ask for seconds. I'm sure you have had a variation of this dish at one point or another. This classic casserole dish is a favourite of many and I have given it an upgrade by packing it with the right cut of chicken, the best soups and rice that's guaranteed to be perfect!
Chicken Breasts - Sure you can use other cuts of chicken in this casserole but in my experience, boneless & skinless chicken breasts are best! No need to worry about chewy skin or cartilage
Rice - I'm a big fan of uncle bens converted rice. It cooks quickly, is full of nutrients and comes out perfectly every time. DO NOT use minute rice or whole grain rice in this. Minute rice cooks way to fast and whole grain cooks way too slow.
Onion and Garlic - Im incapable of cooking without it. you should be too 😋
Veggies of choice - I use spinach, carrots and mushrooms. Another good combo is peas, carrots and celery! Add what you and your family love.
Cream of Celery Soup - I am pretty sure this soup was invented for this casserole. I cant think of a time when I woke up and thought oh yeahhh would love me some cream of celery soup! hahaha. If you cant find cream of celery soup you can sub it for another can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom.
Cream of Chicken Soup - See above notes.
Onion Soup Mix - This is made by lipton but there is no name options. If you can't find it then you can easily make it. Here is all you need for one packet:
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon parsley flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon celery seed
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Full Instructions for onion soup mix can be found here.
I am sure you can freeze this. Would I? No. Have I? No. There are rarely leftovers and if there are, they will disappear soon.
You can use bone in thighs and drums but your cook time will be significantly longer.
You can prepare this ahead of time and cover and store it in the fridge for 1-2 days before baking.
Honestly pretty much anything goes. Feel free to add chopped mushrooms, onions, green peppers, broccoli, green beans etc.
Since you're loving chicken right now, then try my Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken 5 ingredients and tonnes of meal possibilities with it!
Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can Cream of Celery Soup Cream of Mushroom works too!
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Large Carrots Thinly Sliced into coins
- 1 package White Button Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Yellow Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1½ Cups Uncle Bens Converted Rice Not Minute or Brown Rice!
- 2 Chicken Breasts Boneless, Skinless cut into 2" cubes
- 1 Packet Onion Soup Mix
- Parsley dried or fresh
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the Oven to 350°F
- Lightly Grease a 9x13" Dish. I find one that is Deep is best! about 3" deep is good.
- Mix the soups, milk and water in the pan with a whisk.
- add in the chopped vegetables, onions and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the rice on top and stir! You want that to be evenly distributed.
- Now add the chicken. I kinda just pat it in but I don;t mix it, it will sink and be good.
- Sprinkle the Onion Soup Mix on top.
- Cover your dish with a lid or foil. Bake for 45 Mins.
- After 45 minutes, I like to remove the lid/tin foil and stir everything. Then put it back in the oven for 45 minutes until done. Once its bubbling its ready!
- Top with parsley and freshly cracked black pepper and salt if needed.