I grew up with Chicken and Rice Bake. The version I grew up with had canned soup in it, you can find that recipe here. If you're looking for a recipe that is just as delicious but a bit more nutritious, make this Easy Chicken and Rice Bake! It's all mixed and baked in the same casserole dish and delivers so much flavour. The juices from the chicken season the rice and the flavours from the stock and vegetables are infused in every bite. This meal is not only crazy delicious, but it's also easy to make with common ingredients that you probably already have.
- Rice - I prefer Ben's Converted Rice (it cooks in 20 mins, whatever rice you choose, look for one that is done in 20 mins so it works with this recipe)
- Chicken Legs or Thighs (Or both!)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chicken Stock
Steps to make Chicken and Rice Bake
- Toss the chicken in the seasoning mixture
- Spray the casserole dish with cooking spray. Add Rice and vegetables to it. Mix to combine and evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Place chicken on top of rice and veggies mix. Space them evenly
- Pour the chicken stock over the rice.
- Cover and Bake.
- Remove foil and bake until finished.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.
This recipe is one I have been making for years from Recipe Tin Eats. Her recipe calls for removing the chicken's skin and adding butter to the dish and roasting the onion and garlic before adding the rest. In my version, I omit the butter and leave the skin on. I also skip the first step of roasting. I personally haven't found much difference in this step and the end result is the same. Please check out her recipe if it sounds more up your alley.
If you want to double this recipe, use two 9x13 pans and proceed as normal.
In addition to the 3 cups of chicken stock, add ½ cup of hot water. Bake covered for 1 hour then bake uncovered for 15 minutes until rice is tender.
Minute Rice, Risotto RIce etc. Look at the back of the package of rice. If it says 20-minute cooking time and calls for twice the amount of liquid per amount of rice then it will work!
Apple Walnut Spinach Salad
Simple Grilled Peach Blueberry Salad with Balsamic Glaze
Balsamic Strawberry Spinach Salad
Chicken and Rice Bake
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 6 Chicken Thighs or 8 Chicken Legs (Bone-in, Skin-On)
- 1½ Cups Rice Such as Bens Converted. Use your favourite rice, if it can cook in 20 mins it will work in this recipe!
- 1 Large Carrot Finely Diced
- 2 Ribs Celery Diced
- 8 White Button Mushrooms Diced
- 1 Large Onion Finely Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- Cooking Spray For the Pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Wash and Dice all of your vegetables as called for above.
- Toss the chicken in all of the seasonings.
- Spray a Deep 9x13" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add the rice and veggies and mix to combine until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Nestle the seasoned chicken in place. Take care to leave spave between each piece.
- Pour the chicken stock on top of the rice.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove Aluminum Foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 170°F
Review This Recipe: