Imagine a world where your kids make their own snacks, well with these super simple chewy granola bars, that world can be your reality. These are basically rice krispie squares with the addition of all the goodies we love in granola bars. Genius, I know.
What do I need to make these Homemade Granola Bars?
- Marshmallows (Mini is best but large will work too)
- Butter, Margarine or Coconut Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Nuts (We like Almonds)
- Rice Krispie Cereal
- Oats (Quick or Old Fashioined)
- Chocolate Chips (Mini is great but regular works just fine)
- Shredded Coconut
- Cooking Spray
Can I freeze these Homemade Granola Bars? How Do I store them?
Store on the counter in a ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze in layers separated by wax or parchment paper in an airtight container or ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 6 week. Let stand at room temperature for 15 mins before serving. Unless you are a dentist and you are serving this to potential future customers 😉
What are some other toppings?
Use a half cup total of any of these combinations:
- Dried Cranberry & Pistachio Nuts
- White Chocolate Chips and Dried Cranberries
- Mini Marshmallows and Mini Chocolate Chips (s'mores)
- Mini M&M's and Crushed Peanuts
- Mixed Dried Fruit and Crushed Nuts
- Raisins and Mini Chocolate Chips
Fast Track These Bars
If you want even quicker and more simple bars you can simply use a 300-312g bag of Nature's Mix Granola. All you need is the marshmallows, butter, and vanilla plus the bag of granola of your choice with 2 cups of rice krispies. This isn't an affiliate link, I do not make commission off of it. I just love Canadian companies that support Canadian farmers. 😎
Looking for another snack to make? Try my Pumpkin Spice Cereal Bars next 🎃
If you're looking for lunchbox ideas for the kids (or yourself) check out my easy lunch planning guide here.
Super Simple Chewy Granola Bars
- 3 Cups Mini Marshmallows Large works too!
- 6 Tablespoons Butter Or Margarine or Coconut oil
- ⅓ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 2 Cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut Sweetened works too, the bars will just be a bit sweeter!
- ¼ Cup Mini Chocolate Chips Regular size works just fine
- ¼ Cup Almonds Any nut works well. If you have small kids eating these, chop the nuts first
- In a microwavable bowl add the marshmallows and butter. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted. This takes about 2 minutes in total.
- Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Stir.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients. Oats, Cereal, Coconut, Chocolate Chips and Nuts. Fold until everything is evenly Coated.
- For Thick Bars, press into a greased 8x8" pan. For a thinner size, press into a greased 9x 13" pan.
- Cover with saran wrap. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes or until you get around to finishing these. De pan by running your knife along the perimeter of the pan and then flipping the pan over a cutting board. Cut into desired size with a sharp chefs knife. Enjoy 😋