If you're looking for an easy kids recipe this taco soup is satisfying and the whole family will gobble up. This soup is so easy to make that you can have your kids make it for you (With your supervision😉.) It has all of the things we love about tacos, in the form of a soup. Don't worry you don't need to be a kid or have kids make this. Its a straight up delicious soup for anyone.
- Ground Beef
- Diced Tomatoes
- Taco Seasoning
- Beef Broth
- Black Beans (Optional)
- Rice (Optional)
If you want to add more vegetables bell peppers, mushrooms, and
Taco Soup Toppings
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Tortilla Chips
Tips for Cooking with kids
There are a few things that make this an EASY kids recipe.
- Have all of your ingredients prepared and laid out before starting. Accidents happen when you have your back turned to get a new ingredient or chop something up. Avoid this by having it ready at the beginning.
- Cook on the back burner of your cook top, or have the pot closest to you and furthest from where the child is standing.
- Explain to the child(ren) before starting the dangers and responsibilities with helping cook.
- Pre cook the meat and use a slow cooker to cook this meal. It is much more hands off but it still has the kids involved and is safer.
Have any other tips? leave a comment below and I will add it!
Frequently Asked Questions about Taco Soup
Yes, this actually freezes really well! I like to freeze it in individual portions and then place in fridge to defrost. Once defrosted I microwave it to reheat and add toppings before eating.
Use low sodium broth, low sodium taco seasoning and if its still too salty add half a cup of water.
Ground Chicken or Turkey. Shredded Beef or Chicken.
Brown the meat and then add all of the ingredients into your slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or cook on high for 1.5-2.5 hours. You can read more about slow cooker conversion times here.
If you love this recipe, try my Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup next!
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced (White and Red work too!)
- 900ml Beef Broth or Stock (1 Carton)
- 1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can Corn
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 1 Can Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- ¼ Cup Brown Rice Uncle Bens Converted
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Stalk Green Onion Sliced
- 6 Tablespoons Shredded Cheddar Cheese Divided
- 4 Tortilla Chips per bowl
- 6 tablespoons Sour Cream Divided
- In a large soup pot brown the meat. (Drain off grease if there is a lot of grease once browned) Add Onions. Cook until tender.
- Add in the Corn, Tomatoes, Rinsed Black Beans, Taco Seasoning, Rice, water and Broth. Bring to a Simmer and cook until rice is done. About 20 Minutes.
- Serve into bowls. Top with Green onions, Sour Cream, Shredded Cheddar Cheese and a couple tortilla chips.