Here is a frittata recipe that will feed an average family of four. Most frittata recipes include 8-12 eggs and well that's just too much for me and my crew. So, here is how to make a perfectly nutritious and fluffy frittata any day of the week. This recipe is a great way to pack your morning with vegetables and is ready in 20 minutes.
What goes into a Frittata that feeds four?
- 6 Eggs
- Breakfast protein of choice (optional)
- 3 Cups of Vegetables
- Salt and Pepper
What makes a frittata a frittata?
A frittata is an Italian word that translates to fried. Frittatas are super similar to omelets and crust-less quiches in what they consist of. However, their method of cooking is what separates them. With a frittata, you first fry your veggies which makes them delicious and then you add in your eggs and instead of cooking the eggs by frying them, you bake them. This yields a light, airy dish. It's hands down my favourite way to eat eggs. We make this at least once every two weeks because its so quick, nutritious and delicious. You'll see.
The Gist of it
- Prep the Veggies and Meat
- Fry 'em up
- Add the eggs, top with cheese
Microwave it, baby. It actually tastes really good microwaved. Which trust me most eggs do not.
I am sure you could, but this recipe makes a small amount and can be eaten in the time that it would take to eat each morning by one person before it would spoil. So, I would recommend doing that rather than freezing it. Quality will deteriorate if it is frozen.
I just serve it with some toast made from my Perfect Homemade Bread and yogurt or fruit. oh and coffee because..mornings.
1.) Broccoli and Feta Cheese or Cheddar Cheese
2.) Caprese: Tomatoes, Fresh Basil and Mozzarella
3.)Bacon, Onion, Garlic, Herbs Topped with Hollandaise.
4.)Your favourite omelette combo.
Frittata for Four
- 1 Teaspoon Canola Oil
- ½ pound Bacon Or your favourite breakfast protein
- 6 Large Eggs
- 3 Cups Assorted Vegetables See note
- 3 Tablespoons Milk can substitute with an equal amount of cream or sour cream
- ¼ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Slice, Dice and prepare vegetables.
- To an oven safe frying pan, add the oil and the protein of choice. Add in vegetables that take longer to cook down first and saute with the meat. (Onion, Mushrooms, Peppers etc.)
- While this cooks. Crack the eggs and mix with the cream and salt and pepper. Mix until the eggs.
- Spread the fried ingredients around the pan so that they are evenly distributed.
- Add the whisked egg miture to the pan. Top with Cheese
- Bake for 7 minutes or until the eggs in the center of the pan are set.
- Slice into 8 evenly sized triangular pieces and serve two per person. Enjoy!
- Cherry Tomatoes (¼ Cup, Quartered)
- Red Onion (¼ Cup, Diced
- Bell Pepper (¼ Cup, diced)
- Baby Spinach (2 Cups, packed)
- White Button Mushrooms (¼ Cup, Sliced)