This Shredded Chicken Burrito comes together in about 30 minutes but also makes a great freezer meal. This recipe yields 14(!) Chicken Burritos, so help your future self out by making this for dinner today and a few future dinners as well. 😎 They feature seasoned chicken that is shredded, flavourful rice, creamy refried beans and corn.
Chicken Breasts: Seasoned with paprika, cumin, onion powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Refried Beans
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic Cloves
- Red Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
Rice: Seasoned with Tomato Paste, Cilantro, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Chicken Bouillon, Jalapeno
How to make Shredded Chicken Burritos:
- Season and then Cook Chicken, Shred.
- Cook Rice in Seasoned Water
- Combine Shredded Chicken with Fillings.
- Assemble Tortillas with Cheese, Rice and Chicken Filling Mix.
- Roll and Grill
Wrap in foil and place in a freezer quality bag. Freeze for up to 6 months.
From Frozen: Place in Oven for 40 minutes at 350F
Or Thaw: Reheat in Oven for 15 Minutes at 350F
Microwave From Frozen: Remove Foil, 5 minutes on high (Depends on microwaves power)
Pork is best, it will taste very similar.
Salsa, Sour Cream, Guacamole or Queso.
This recipe is based on the always wonderful Nagi's Chicken Burrito from Recipe Tin Eats. You can find her original recipe here. The main difference between her version and mine is that my chicken is shredded and hers is diced before cooking and seasonings. Mine are less spicy and yield a lot more burritos. Her recipe calls for half the chicken and makes 5 burritos, the chicken is seasoned with cayenne pepper and black pepper.
Shredded Chicken Burritos
- 1200 g Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts about 4 breasts
- 2 Teaspoons Canola Oil
- 1½ Tablespoons Paprika
- 1½ Tablespoons Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 12 oz Corn Drained
- 14 oz Refried Beans
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Red Pepper Diced
Mexican Style Red Rice
- 1½ Cups Uncle Bens Converted Rice Or Long Grain White Rice
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cube Chicken Bouillon
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Jalapeno Diced, (Optional)
- 3 Sprigs Cliantro
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 14 10" Tortillas
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Add the rice, water and all seasonings etc listed to a medium sized pot. If using uncle bens converted rice you will cook for 20 minutes. It will say how long to cook your rice on the package if you're using a different variety of rice then I have listed. Stir the rice occasionally. Once cooked, set aside.
- Mix the seasonings together and then toss the chicken in the seasonings so that they are evenly coated.
- In a Large pot or Dutch Oven add the canola oil and coat the pan evenly to make it non stick. Add in the chicken and sear each side. Now add the water and cover the pot. Let cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it. I find the easiest and fast way to do this is with an electric hand blender!
- While the chicken cooks, dice the onion, garlic and red pepper. Open the refried beans and corn. Drain the corn.
- Once the chicken has been removed from the pot add in the onion, garlic and red pepper. It is ok if there is still some liquid left in the pot from the chicken, do not drain. Cook for a couple minutes, until tender.
- Once onions etc are tender add the refried beans and corn to the pot and stir to combine. Now add the chicken back in. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- Shred the cheese and lay out the tortillas
- Add a couple tablespoons of cheese to each tortilla. Now add ¼ cup rice to each tortilla and then 1 cup of filling. It helps to assemble all the tortillas at once so that you can evenly distribute the fillings.
- Tip: Warm wraps are easier to roll than cold ones! If you're having difficulties, warm your wraps up in the microwave for a few seconds before assembly.How to Roll: Have all the fillings on one side of the wrap. Fold in both sides to the center. Use your thumbs to roll the bottom forward and up over iteself. Keep the Tortilla tight the whole time. Fold the sides in again and roll until closed.
- Once assembled, you can eat it as is or you can grill in a frying pan or on an electric sandwich press. You can also heat these in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes. See notes in the FAQ section to learn more about freezing these and reheating from frozen.