Chocolate chip cookies are delicious at any age, but since I got into my thirties I have found that Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies are another level of decadence. They Cookies are chewy and soft and finished with a sprinkle of Maldon brand Salt. This salt is special, more about that below.
- Margarine or Butter
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chocolate Chips
- Maldon Salt
So what is Maldon Salt? Maldon salt is not the same as sea salt or table salt. It is harvested by hand in Maldon, England and the process creates a unique pyramid shape that actually alters the way the salt tastes. sprinkle this salt on everything because it is so good!
You can buy it on amazon but I have been able to find it at local grocery stores in rural Canada, so I am sure you will be able to find it in most grocery stores. It has become a very popular ingredient in recent years.
Tips for Success
Do not overbake the cookies, as you want them to have slightly crisp edges and soft centers. You need to chill these Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies for the entire chill time. Without chilling them you are likely to create a giant cookie on your sheet pan.
Storing and Freezing Cookies
To store: Leftover cookies keep at room temp for a good week. Maybe more.. wouldn't know for sure. I always eat them before then.
To freeze: I really like freezing cookies as dough balls for the best results. you can bake from frozen for 15 minutes. You can definitely freeze cookies that are already made just pack them in a solid container so they don't get beat up too much. They will last about 6 months stored this way. Not sure who has that kind of willpower😉
Other Great Cookie Recipes
Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter or Margarine
- ¾ Cup White Sugar
- 1¼ Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour Spooned and Leveled
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tablespoon Maldon Salt Divided
- If you're using butter melt it in a microwave safe bowl, if you're using margarine then don't bother melting it.
- To a bowl or the bowl of a mixer add the butter, sugars and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add in the eggs, stir until combined.
- add in the salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Now add in the flour. Do it bit by bit until its all combined.
- mix in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough out onto 2 baking sheets that are lined with parchment paper, tinfoil or a silicone mat. They all work great and you don't need to grease any of them.
- Scoop out the cookies into 24 equal sized balls.
- Chill Cookies for 1 hour. This is optional, it helps them not spread out to much during baking! If you don't have time for the chilling then I would bake only 8 cookie per sheet rather than 12 so that they all don't run together. Note: I highly reccomend chilling these cookies though!
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 11-13 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown. Sprinkle desired amount of salt on top of each cookie as soon as it is out of the oven. Let the cookies firm up on the cookie sheet before enjoying with all your friends and family as they tell you what amazing cookies these are.