I HATE MORNINGS but I love Breakfast. I came up with this sausage and hash brown breakfast casserole when I had a grueling week of 6am meetings with a new born and a toddler😫. I needed something that I could pop in the oven and it would be ready when my first meeting was over and the family was ready for breakfast. Its hands off, filled with our favourite flavors and you can sneak veggies in. WIN!
Wanna know the best part? You can bake this ahead of time and it tastes just as good microwaved in the morning. iloveit.
If you're loving the idea of a sweet make ahead breakfast bake you can try my French Toast Breakfast Bake next.
There is more than just hash browns and sausage in this casserole:
- Diced Hash browns
- Ground Pork
- Veggies of Choice (Pepper, Tomato, Spinach etc)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onion
Homemade Sausage Seasoning
- Brown Sugar
- Red Pepper Flakes
Looking for something sweet for breakfast? Try my Easy Fluffy Banana Pancakes next.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The most common questions I'm asked about this Sausage and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole:
With this amount of eggs & milk you can add about 2 cups of vegetables. 🥦🧅🥕🍄🌶🍅
Yes! I freeze this all the time. That's why I make 4 little ones at a time. Eat one, freeze 3! If you want to freeze then do so without the eggs and milk. You can prepare as normal, freeze it and then add the milk and eggs on the day you want to bake it. Bake for the same amount of time as normal. Add cheese before freezing or after - your choice. both work well.
Yeah, for sure. Any ground meat works. I often use lamb just because I have a tonne of ground lamb on hand.
YES! Squeeze it out of the casing and brown it, then forfeit the seasonings as breakfast sausage is already seasoned. If you go down this route just know you're making this into a pricey little din din. When you buy premade sausage you're paying for the convenience of it. So $/lb vs ground pork is significantly more.
Eat them. Microwave the leftovers and enjoy! They taste just as good leftover - I promise.
Sausage and Hasbrown Breakfast Bake
- 2 Pounds Ground Pork
- 900 Grams Diced Hash browns 900g = 1 bag
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 1 Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Cup Tomato Diced
- 8 Large Eggs whisked
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Sage
- ⅛ Teaspoon Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 2 Stalks Green Onion Diced
- 16 Tablespoons Ketchup 1 tablespoon/serving
- Brown the Meat, Add in Diced onion and Seasonings.
- Brown the Hash browns. Per package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large 9x13 casserole dish or 4 2x3 Casserole Dishes. Layer Ingredients. Bottom: Meat and Onion MixMiddle: HashbrownsTop: Raw Chopped Vegetables
- Top evenly with shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix Eggs and Milk, Pour evenly over the entire dish.
- Bake uncovered for one hour or until the dish has set. It is set when you shake the dish and the eggs don't jiggle. I know professional cooking term. 😎
I bought the casserole dishes featured in this recipe from Costco. This is not an affiliate link, but if you're looking for them head here: www.costco.ca sometimes they are in stock 🤞